May 20, 2013

Interview: Alice Boman




Two words spring to mind when encountering Alice Boman's mesmerizing music – church-like and eerie. While her voice and words deal in the ache of longing for someone, the music stirs visions of a magnificent abbey. A church where rich, airy, chords are tethered by her voice, thin and fragile as window frost, a fragility which belies an icy strength. She isn't crying about the longing and waiting – she's marking it with wonderful songs and music, as another might scribble in a diary. The eerie part is how she, a Swede, evokes an American feel in her songs, how it could as easily be a barn board Appalachian church, as a soaring Roman cathedral.

Let's call it Nordic Americana.

I've been lucky enough to spend all the time I want with Alice Boman's songs... the unlucky part is how few there are. Yes, the sound is fuzzy with tape hiss and fingers fumble on the stop and record buttons, but believe me... these are the only detriments to be heard.

Right after I listened to Alice's music, via an email from Magnus Bjerkert at Adrian Recordings, I began searching for more info. For a clue as to who this mysterious woman is and how she suddenly appeared before me. This led me to an email address... so I sent her a note. Below is what she wrote in reply, much more than I expected from my email (three questions), but her music and voice are also much more than expected, so, why am I surprised? Her reply is printed here, as it arrived, without the questions (I think you can guess what they are from her reply). I believe it's more honest and I hope it's the way she would want it.

Her five song EP of home-recordings, Skisser, will be released on Adrian Recordings in the near future.


Alice Boman: I have been doing sketches and home-recordings like these for some time now. For the fun of it. For that great feeling of losing the sense of time and space. For me to remember the melodies and ideas. As you know, these recordings were never meant to reach this far. When doing these takes I did not have that in mind at all.

When I was younger, just singing to sing was enough for me. And of course it still is in a way.
But since all things move and develop as time is passing I have felt a growing desire to take it further. To at least try to reach for something more.

I have not so much been dreaming about getting discovered as I have been dreaming about recording something in a real studio. The chance of maybe finding that sound I have been hearing somewhere in my head. Still simple. Not at all forced. But deeper. And most of all I think I have been longing to find the right people to work with. To not do it alone. To see what would happen to the music then. With more instruments and thoughts. How the music would change, feel and sound. How that would be like.

So I sent these five sketches to Emil (Isaksson) at Studio Möllan in Malmö, because I had heard so much good music coming out of that place, asking him if he wanted to help me record one song. I sent them all, for him to get an idea of what I sounded like. But, he then sent them to Magnus at Adrian Recordings. Who wanted to release them. Like they were. Just like that. Which was hard for me to believe at first. And felt a bit intimidating. Since they felt so far from ready. But then I realised, will things you do ever feel ready or perfect? I don't think it ever will. And I don't think you even want that. I think that is what keeps you doing what you do. Keeps you dreaming. I mean, I know I'm drawn to things that has its flaws. That don't pretend. That feels true. So I told myself to let go. And I feel so grateful. To have been given this chance. And to now being in the studio to record some songs and working with these great people and musicians.

The guys, Adam and Tom, from This is Head, I did not know already. That, as long as everything else, just happened. And since I have been listening to their music a lot, and think that they are great musicians, I am thrilled that we are now working together on these studio recordings. Along with the fantastic producer Emil. But what that will turn out and sound like, you can hear this autumn.

And Malmö, I love living here. I like that it is such a small city. Everything is close by. The studio now for instance is just some minutes walk from my home. And it is such a relaxed vibe here. I think that makes it easier for people to do their own thing. There is a lot of creative people living here, but I don’t think no one is competing. It is like people inspire and help each other out instead. I just came back last year, after living in other places and cities, but it seems to me a bit like everyone knows everyone.

I could not have asked for more.

No matter what will happen next, this, right now, is more then enough for me.

Oh, and the sketches, I recorded on a handy recorder, with four "tracks" on it. Or I think that is what it is called.



“Waiting”

I want you more than I need you
I need you so bad
Are you coming back
Are you coming
I'm waiting

Haven't had a dream in a long time
Haven't been able to sleep
Are you coming back
Are you coming back
I'm waiting
I'm waiting

I want you more than I need you
I need you bad
Are you coming back
Are you coming back
I'm waiting
I'm waiting
I'm waiting
I'm waiting

No comments:

Post a Comment