March 23, 2009

Gentleman Reg: New Record 'Jet Black'


Gentleman Reg (Reg Vermue) grew up in several towns and cities, but I believe he calls Guelph (pronounced 'gwelf') Ontario his hometown, it's a small city about twenty five minutes up the road from where I live. And because of this geographic closeness I've seen the Gentleman a couple of times over the past few years, first as an opening act for Antony & The Johnsons in Toronto and also at Guelph's great outdoor music fest Hillside. I've enjoyed his music, but haven't really given it repeated listens until his latest record Jet Black found it's way onto my mp3 player. There is some incredibly catchy stuff on this latest effort and none of it gives away the fact that both his parents are heavily embroiled in the world of Barbershop singing. Thank God, for that... or Reg, or both.

I'm not sure how he builds his songs, but a frenetic skittering rhythm drives the music on this record, at least the music that I keep wanting to hear, namely "You Can't Get It Back" and "How We Exit".

from Jet Black (arts & crafts)
how we exit

from Little Buildings (arts & crafts)
it's not safe

Follow the link at top for more info and to buy Reg's music.

No comments:

Post a Comment